Ways to Win as Women
As Executive Director of the Centre for Leadership and Dialogue at the Gordon Institute for Business Studies (GIBS), Shireen Chengadu is passionate about finding their own voices in whichever context they are operating. The focus of her presentation to WIFN was to be and seek a mentor. In addition, she encouraged women to develop and unite their voices to take a stand – for that which nurtures people and creates equality in society, and against that which divides communities and negatively impacts women in particular.
Here are some of her nuggets of wisdom to help women find ways to win at work:
- Be your own best brand ambassador: be distinct or extinct!Volunteer for stretch assignments to gain new knowledge, relationships and experiences.
- View negotiation as problem-solving, not as a win-lose situation
- Bring yourself to the tables of power and make yourself heard and your voice matter.
- Find a great mentor, sponsor or advocate
- Be a door-opener rather than a gate-keeper
Shireen continues to lead entrepreneurial forums for women to ensure they are equipped for the roles of leadership into which they have stepped or will be stepping. Her personal credo is: Disrupt yourself – often!